Welcome

Welcome, fellow genealogists! My blog will teach you about U.S. land records and United Kingdom research. My family has roots in Niagara County, New York; Norfolk, England; and northeast Germany.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

NGS Conference - Wednesday, Day 1

I have nothing but good things to say about the conference so far. The center is easy to negotiate. No speaker had any technical problems. A good day.

I began with the opening session at 8:00 am followed by time in the exhibit hall. I have nominees for nicest booth personnel. So far they are the woman at the British Archives, the women at the Oklahoma Historical Society and the young man at Jewishgen.

At 11:00 am, I attended, Begin with the Power Tools: Transcriptions, Abstracts and Analysis with David McDonald. I got several pointers I had missed before and found him to be organized and an excellent speaker. Of course, in real life, he is a minister so the latter may come with the territory.

At 2:30 pm, I heard Elizabeth Shown Mills talk about plagiarism. She lived up to her reputation, but as cute as her slides were, I was winding down and admit to nodding off once or twice toward the end. Shame on me.
Last, I attended a talk about Military Bounty Lands by Rick Sayre. Given the usual topics of this blog, you can look forward to hearing more about his talk later. He defined terms like warrant, patent and  scrip and described the process a veteran would go through to obtain land under the everchanging program perameters.

Was way too tired to write last night.

Today's schedule is the most grueling - 8:00 am to 8:00 pm. I may wait to write tomorrow until morning again.

No comments:

Post a Comment